CONSULTATION 3 - Sleep assessment
If you are having a consultation with me, please download and complete the assessment, email it to me at [email protected] and I will contact you to book in your consultation.
Rest and Sleep
Your body needs rest. If you don’t rest your body, your body will ensure that you do rest it. You’ll feel fatigued and slow during the day and possibly become run down and sick. When it comes to the quality and quantity of sleep you get each night, this also has an impact on your health and fertility. When you’re tired, you’re more likely to have cravings for foods and drinks that contain caffeine and sugar, or simple carbohydrates and you won’t have the energy to exercise or have intercourse with your partner. When it comes to fertility, a lack of sleep can affect your hormones including the ones that trigger ovulation in women and the sperm maturation process in men which are thought to be tied to the body’s sleep-wake patterns.
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below then you could benefit from improving your sleep and your sleep environment to help boost your fertility.
- Is your sleep schedule irregular, that is you go to bed at different times each night and wake up at different times in the morning?
- Are you a shift worker?
- Do you struggle to wake up and you take a while to get going in the morning?
- Are you usually still awake at some point during the hours between the 10pm and 2am?
- Does it take you longer than 15 minutes to fall asleep?
- Do you frequently wake up during the night?
- Do you frequently wake up during the night and have problems falling back to sleep?
- Do you frequently wake up to go to the toilet?
- Do you frequently wake up early in the morning before your alarm clock?
- Do you sleep less than 7 hours a night?
- Do you sleep more than 9 hours a night?
- Do you have naps during the day that last for more than 30 minutes?
- Do you snore, have difficulty breathing, sleep apnoea or do you have restless legs at night?
- Do you use electronic devices (phones, tablets, laptops), in the 90 minutes before you go to bed?
- Do you use your phone, tablet or computer while you are in bed?
- Do you watch TV while in bed?
- Do you use your bedroom for any other reason apart from sexual intercourse, sleep and reading a book before bed?
- Is your bed old and/or uncomfortable?
- Is your bedroom messy and cluttered?
- Does sunlight penetrate through your curtains or blinds in the morning?
- Do you often feel hot or cold in your bedroom?
- Do you drink alcohol in the evening?
- Do you drink coffee or have other caffeinated drinks or foods in the evening?
- Do you exercise in the evening within 2 hours of your bedtime?
- Does your partner wake you up or disturb your sleep for any reason?
- Do you sleep with a pet on your bed?
- Do you frequently have bad dreams?
- Do you take sleep medication to help you sleep, either herbal or prescribed?
- Do you wake up feeling tired and unrefreshed?
- Do you feel fatigued during the day and rely on caffeine and carbohydrates that contain sugar to give you energy?